AN ACTION WORKSHOP FOR SOCIAL CHANGE
AUGUST 10-12, 2004
THE EAST-WEST CENTER
IMIN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE CENTER
THIS WORKSHOP IS FOR YOU!
All are welcome with special invitation to disaster managers • emergency responders • humanitarian relief workers • researchers and faculty • governmental representatives • staff and volunteers with voluntary organizations active in disasters • health workers • scholars in cultural, environmental and women's studies• community organizers and planners • gender and development specialists • community members and • activists.
We especially solicit participation from those in regions heavily impacted by natural disasters. Limited travel subsidies are available with prior application.
Please join us!
- Make new connections between gender, development and disaster
- Learn about women's grassroots work to prevent disasters
- Identify existing and needed tools and resources
- Increase organizational capacity to engender disaster work
- Contribute to a new gender and disaster sourcebook of educational materials
- Mentor the next generation of disaster managers
- Support men and women in nontraditional disaster work
- Build community
This workshop is sponsored by the USAID Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance, the US Department of Agriculture Foreign Agricultural Service and the UN International Strategy for Disaster Reduction with assistance from the University of Hawaii Social Science Research Institute, the East West Center, members of the Gender and Disaster Network, PEACESAT - Telecommunications and Information Policy Group, UH Disaster Management Humanitarian Assistance Program, NOAA Pacific Services Center and the Pacific Risk Management 'Ohana, The Pacific Disaster Center, Center of Excellence in Disaster Management & Humanitarian Assistance, Public Entity Risk Institute, The National Science Foundation and others.
Mahalo (Thank You)
Sarah St. George for designing the workshop logo and to Peter Tsuru for designing this website.